Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Grammar about Sentences

Comma Splice: Use of a comma to join two independent clauses
I have a lot of homework to do, it is nearly end of the marking period.
(I have a lot of homework to do, because it is nearly end of the marking period.)

Run-on Sentence: Two or more independent clauses are joined without an appropriate punctuation or conjunction
I called my mother I talked with her about my life at school.
(I called my mother and talked with her about my life at school.)

Sentence Fragment: Sentence that can not stand by itself. It doesn't have any independent clauses.
Worked very hard every day that could not have enough sleep.
(He worked very hard every day that could not have enough sleep.)

Independent Clause: A clause that can stand by itself as a simple sentence.
I play soccer.

Dependent Clause: A clause that provides an independent clause with additional information, but which cannot stand alone as a sentence.

He is the boy who broke the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment