Thursday, March 3, 2016

Vocabulary For Pobby and Dingan

Claim: n. Mine that owned by someone "And so Dad couldn’t do nothing except take Kellyanne out to the claim called Wyoming, where he had his drives."

Wobbling: v. Move with shacking, not stable. "The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim."

Startled: v. Shocked. "My dad turned around, startled."

Figment: n. Unreal things. "I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings."

Rummaged: v. Search. "He rummaged through piles of rocks."

Ute: n. A type of car that can run on many Kinds of land. "Kellyanne watched him, making sure he helped them up into the cabin of the ute,"

Crackpot: n. Crazy people. "Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see."

Mello Yello: n. A type of drink. "I said, hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello."

Mates: n. People who work or live with you. “I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,”

Opal: n. A kind of stone. "My dad would come back from the opal mines covered in dust, his beard like the back end of a dog that’s shat all over its tail."

Fairdinkum: n. Australian word for "Are you sure?". “Fairdinkum?”

Imaginary: adj. unreal, imaged by someone. "but I wasn’t crazy enough to talk to imaginary friends, I’ll tell you that for nothing."

Grub: n. Food. "She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub."

Fossilized: v. Become a fossil. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."

Mammoth: n. An old animal liked elephant which lived in the ancient time. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment